Monday, February 6, 2012

Moonlight Hike in Palo Duro Canyon


I met Stephen and Justi at the office in Ingram this morning at 8:00 and we began our trip to the Texas Panhandle. We drove to Lubbock and dropped of Justi at Texas Tech. Then Stephen and I drove further North to the Palo Duro Canyon. After driving for 7 hours we arrived around 4:30 and checked in at the entrance to the state park. The Ranger said it was a 6 mile hike to the "lighthouse" and he didn't think we would have time to do it before dark. Stephen and I took that as a challenge and we did it. It was a good hike with the last part having a pretty steep climb but it was worth it. On the way back we saw the full moon coming up in the pink sky. It was the best time of the day to be hiking. The temperature was in the low 50's and the light on the rock formations was breathtaking. I am now back at my comfortable hotel room. I've had a hot bath and I think I will sleep well. Tomorrow we go to West Texas A&M to recruit for camp. I'm looking forward to talking with these college kids. God has blessed us with beauty all around. Have you seen the moon tonight? Here in Canyon, Texas it has a rainbow of colors around it. I guess you call that a moonbow.

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful! What a great part of the state. I got to do a ride in the Caprock Canyons, not too far away, last October. Such unique scenery!

    Hope all your horses are doing well! We were just out at a clinic at Silver Oaks Farm a couple of weeks ago with Joan Bolton and Alfredo Hernandez. I only rode with Joanie but it was a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about your trip this week. Sounds like a great end to your day.

    ReplyDelete