Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lily Lu and Pizaz

I love traveling around and talking to people. I have been recruiting college students to be counselors and wranglers for the camp. I ask them about their passions and what they want to do with their lives. It is a joy to listen to their dreams and watch their eyes light up as they share their hopes with me. I am so blessed that I work for Meg and she wants people to do what they love. She says that when you are doing what you love it doesn't feel like work. She is right. I have been looking at prospective horses to purchase for the camp. I will be buying 15-20 horses before May. I have traveled off the beaten path to try out these horses. Some good, some not so good. I have met some interesting characters. They start out telling me their history with these horses and pretty soon they are sharing their stories too. I love driving down these back roads of Texas and seeing the beautiful ranches. I enjoy talking with the owners and riding the horses. I can usually tell by the horse's personality and demeanor within a minute if he will work or not. Does he trust people? Does he stand still or fidget? Does he have a relaxed kind eye? When you get on him is he nervous, attentive or uninterested? Does he like to be touched or just tolerate you? These are all things that I naturally notice after spending many years around horses. I think these are the reasons why horses help us to be better listeners, better at being honest about our own feelings, hopefully better people. I love what I do. I thought you all would enjoy seeing a picture of Alamo's Rowdy Pizaz. I went to buy two lesson horses on Saturday in Marion, Texas. He was out in the pasture with them and I made a package deal. I think he is going to get lots of love this summer from the kids and he will be a great addition to our program. You just never know what you are going to find on these adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment