Monday, October 3, 2011

Trust is the lesson of a lifetime.



“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him and He will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

The bottom line is this: I struggle with trusting God.

I have thought of myself as a woman of adventure but when I am honest with myself I see that I'd rather stay with what is familiar than trust God to give me a calling that I can’t envision right now. I don’t want to be short-sighted, dubious of God’s desire or ability to bless me, or resistant to the future He has for me. But my lack of trust, fear of the unknown, and reluctance to give up my planned life are threatening to hold me back from obeying Him. And that’s definitely not good.
So I have a choice to make. Will I believe that God’s plans are better than my own desires? Will I risk stepping out of my comfort zone? Do I believe the growing pains I’ll face will be worth the blessings that will come? Do I trust God to really take care of me? I have taken baby steps with His encouragement. Changing jobs, moving to Texas, leaving family and friends in another state, establishing new priorities, friendships, church, home. Many times I have woken up to the feeling of "Where am I?" and "Is this my life now?" All that is familiar is gone - my furniture, home, sights and sounds of family, traditions.
What changes I need to release? Do I believe the rewards are worth the pain? Do I trust God’s perfect plan is worth leaving my comfort behind?
Do I trust Him?
The unknown is scary. I do want to have the courage and trust to stand on His word and faith that He knows the Big picture. It’s scarier to think of what I might miss if I don’t let go. And so I say a prayer, open my hands, help me to stand with the power of the Holy Spirit, to seek the joy and peace that comes with each day.
Today let’s choose to trust God and not require that we like or even understand what He is calling us to do. Let’s submit to Him, believing that the path He calls us to take will always be worth the change, worth the risk, worth the effort, simply because He has chosen it for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment