Friday, May 18, 2012

I have had a blast this week.  We have ridden horses everyday, two trail rides a day.  An easy one in the mornings and a challenging one in the afternoons.  The Wrangler girls are amazing.  They love the horses I have assigned to them and they are all hard workers.  It feels kinda strange being their boss and teaching them but that is one of the areas I am growing in.  We are leaving early in the morning so we can be in the Hunt parade tomorrow.  That will be a fun thing to do.  We will also go to town for some supplies.
I am keeping a journal of all the things I am teaching so that I can learn and improve every year.  I want to make this the best program it can be.  We turned out some of the horses this afternoon to let them eat grass in front of the barn.  As I was sitting in the grass looking at the horses and the mountains I was overcome with the feeling of peace and gratitude.  I am so blessed to hear the birds sing, to look at these mountains that surround me, to feel the soft breeze on my skin.  One of the girls said it is heaven here and I have to agree.  I am so blessed to be doing something I love and to have others around me that appreciate it too.
We talk horses, we ooh and awh at the beautiful things on the trails, we appreciate an honest horse and the challenge of training and riding a difficult one.  It is a thrilling thing to teach these girls about being aware of their body language, tone of voice, eye contact, etc. as they work on the ground training the horses.  It makes me focus on why I do the things I do and how I have learned to read horses behaviors.  Then I have to be able to explain it in detail to them.  I can tell I am going to grow from this summer in my leadership skills and my teaching skills.  I love it.  I want to always be striving to grow, learn and be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment