Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Kids and Horses

This is Arrow, he is one of the sweetest horses I know.  He is an old guy and I wish he could talk and tell me his life story.  He was probably some cowboy's roping horse and look at him now with his new hair do.  I had 80 8th graders today at the barn.  First,  I went over safety with them, then they got into pairs and groomed a horse.  They brushed and braided and hugged their horses.  It is so heartwarming to see these kids come out here and connect with the horses.  Many of them are so afraid to touch or approach a horse.  They reach out timidly to pet them but at the end of the hour they are leading them in circles, giving them big hugs, and petting them all over.  I just love my job that I get to be a part of that.  They become comfortable and confident.  When I teach them to lead a horse I always tell them to be confident and look where you want to go.  Don't look at the horse because you are sending him the signal that you are not the leader and you are not sure where you want to go.  Isn't that true in our lives?  We have to keep looking ahead, stepping out, keeping the faith and confidence that God has a plan.
It was a good day.  I am tired.  The horses are happy.  The kids are happy.  All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment